• Boscastle area Boscastle Youth Hostel, Boscastle, PL35 0HD. A lovely spot in a steep-sided valley on the rugged north Cornwall coast, this National Trust-owned rural retreat is on the harbour edge. Here, on your Cornish coast break, you can sit and watch this pretty, bustling fishing village come to life during the day and return to a sleepier pace in the evenings. For a more energetic activity break, you'll also find excellent surfing and sailing plus miles of coastal footpaths to explore - great for walking holidays.
It's self-catering only here, but you can get to know the locals in the nearby pubs while sampling some tasty Cornish food and local ales.
Palace Stables, Boscastle, Cornwall. PL35 0HD. Tel: 0845 371 9006. Email: email@example.com
• Bude area NorthShore Bude Backpackers, Bude, EX23 8EW. Come and stay with us, Sean & Janine. Our place is welcoming and relaxed. Your visit to Cornwall can be whatever you want it to be. Visit the famous and beautiful landmarks, get out and cycle some of the most amazing countryside, water sports or just relax. Clean comfortable self-catering house.
Tel. 01288 354256. Email: Janine Everett
• Coverack area Coverack Youth Hostel, Coverack, TR12 6SA. If you love spectacular coastal walks, secluded beaches and exhilarating windsurfing, head for this Victorian country house with panoramic sea views - perfect for a cheap family holiday or weekend break. If you're looking for activity breaks, there are plenty of opportunities for walking holidays, cycling and adventure-seekers in this uncrowded part of Cornwall.
Parc Behan, School Hill, Coverack, Helston, Cornwall. TR12 6SA. Tel: 0845 371 9014. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Fowey area Golant Youth Hostel, Fowey, PL23 1LA. A relaxing rural treat that's perfect for children, making it ideal both for school trips and cheap family breaks. In three acres of grounds with 14 acres of woodland to explore, this Georgian country house overlooks the Fowey Estuary and is just four miles from the sea - so if you're looking for a seaside break, this hostel is for you.
It is close to the famous Eden Project and Bodmin Moor with all its walking trails, making it great for a family holiday in Cornwall or a weekend break. This hostel provides outstanding evening meals and has a licensed bar.
Penquite House, Golant, Fowey, Cornwall, PL23 1LA. Tel: 0845 371 9019. Email: email@example.com
• Hartland area Elmscott Youth Hostel, Hartland, EX39 6ES. Actually in Devon but just a short distance from the Cornish border.
Walkers, surfers and bird watchers will love this next-to-nature retreat. Clovelly is nearby with its cobbled streets and pretty harbour. A former Victorian school, Elmscott is surrounded by unspoilt coastline with views of Lundy Island. The accommodation is just minutes away from the South West Coast Path, which passes spectacular coves and wide river mouths, the area is great for walking holidays.
Hartland, Bideford, Devon. EX39 6ES. Tel: 0845 3719736. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Land's End area Land's End Youth Hostel, Land's End, TR19 7NT. Situated just five miles north of Land's End, the hostel accommodation is a great place for an activity break or to relax after exploring west Cornwall's many attractions.
YHA Land's End is tucked away in the peaceful Cot Valley, with fine views to the sea and a five minute walk to the South West Coast Path - perfect for a cheap family break. The coast and great countryside are nearby, so it's equally good for surfing breaks, birdwatching and walking holidays. Enjoy an evening meal, snack or a drink in our cafe/bar or garden. Camping is also available on site.
Letcha Vean, St Just-in-Penwith, Penzance, Cornwall. TR19 7NT. Tel: 0845 371 9643. Email: email@example.com
• Lizard area Lizard Point Youth Hostel, Lizard, TR12 7NT. This former Victorian hotel is one of the southernmost buildings in England. Its special peninsula location means there are fabulous sea views, beachcombing, walking and unique wildflowers so it's a popular location - perfect for an activity break in Cornwall or seaside holiday. Kynance Cove is within easy walking distance and the hostel is a good base for walking and birdwatching holidays. There are lots of small rooms and en suites available at this self-catering site. There is a pub and restaurant in Lizard village only half a mile away.
The Polbrean, Lizard Point, Cornwall. TR12 7NT. Tel: 0845 371 9550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Padstow area Treyarnon Bay Youth Hostel, Padstow, PL28 8JR. Surf, sand and superb sunsets in summer, wild storms and log fires in winter, YHA Treyarnon has everything you need for a cheap family break. Set between Padstow and Porthcothan, this former 1930s summer residence is virtually on the beach, and well located for activity breaks. Perfect for walking and cycling holidays or for the more adventurous, book a surfing package. Try the great menu on offer in our dining room and full bar complete with local beers, ciders and sea views.
Tregonnan, Treyarnon, Padstow, Cornwall. PL28 8JR. Tel: 0845 371 9664. Email: email@example.com
• Penzance area Penzance Youth Hostel, Penzance, TR20 8TF. This Georgian mansion has been refurbished to a high standard. Set in beautiful gardens, it's only 15 minutes walk from the town and seafront, perfect for seaside holidays, activity breaks and school trips. Penzance is an excellent base for exploring the local area and it is the departure point for sailings to the Isles of Scilly. Visit St Ives or Sennen Cove, great for watersports, sailing or surfing holidays, or just relax on some of Europe's finest beaches.
Castle Horneck, Penzance, Cornwall, TR20 8TF. Tel: 0845 371 9653. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Perranporth area Droskyn Point Youth Hostel, Perranporth, TR6 0GS. Welcome to a surfer's paradise. YHA Perranporth is stunningly located on a cliff-top. You'll find spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean, two and a half miles of sandy beach and sea birds, seals and dolphins in the local Marine Conservation Area. There's surfing, power-kiting, coasteering and horse riding for action-seekers on an activity break and the gentler South West Coast Path, great for walking holidays.
Droskyn Point, Perranporth, Cornwall. TR6 0GS. Tel: 0845 371 9755. Email: email@example.com
• Portreath area Portreath Youth Hostel, Portreath, TR16 4QX. Enjoy easy access to stunning beaches, bluebell woods and the coastal path when you take a cheap family break at this converted barn. Ideal for everyone, the barn is in the grounds of a Grade II listed manor house, it has interesting grounds, with a wooded valley trail to the lovely Portreath Beach. There are miles of coastline to explore on a walking and cycling holiday and it's a great location for activity breaks or a watersports holidays. All rooms are en suite and there's a large games room/lounge with table tennis, boxed games and large screen TV. Relax and enjoy a picnic outside on the patio.
Please note: This hostel is not bookable online. Please contact the hostel direct.
Nance Farm, Illogan, Redruth, Cornwall. TR16 4QX. Tel: 01209 842244. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• St Austell area Boswinger Youth Hostel , St Austell, PL26 6LL. Located on a tranquil section of the south coast of Cornwall, YHA Boswinger has offered a warm welcome for hostellers on Cornish coast breaks since the 1930s. The perfect swimming beach is just a 10 minute walk, the Eden Project a short drive away, and the South West Coast Path on the doorstep. If you're planning a visit to the famous Lost Gardens of Heligan, YHA Boswinger is just down the road. In good weather, enjoy home-cooked meals in our beautiful courtyard.
Boswinger, Gorran Haven, St Austell, Cornwall, PL26 6LL. Tel: 0845 371 9107. Email: email@example.com
• Tintagel area Tintagel Youth Hostel, Tintagel, PL34 0DW. This former quarryman's cottage is ideal for getting away from it all on a family holiday in Cornwall. Isolated and atmospheric with spectacular coastal views over Dunderhole Point, this rural retreat is a 15 minute walk from the village of Tintagel. This is the place to indulge in Arthurian myth and legend, or if activity breaks are more your style, there's lots of great routes for walking and cycling holidays.
Dunderhole Point, Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34 0DW. Tel: 0845 371 9145. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org