Halamanning Mine, Cornwall
Penwith: grid reference SW564312
Halamanning lies in the parish of Breage about three quarters of a mile east of St. Hilary and includes Croft Gothal Mine and Retallack.
Chiefly a copper producing mine, dating from the late 1770's, Halamanning was one of the first mines to install a Boulton & Watt pumping engine, in 1778. The 40-inch machine was moved eight years later to Retallack with a new 60-inch version replacing it at Halamanning. There is on record a map dated 1791 showing the existence of 36 shafts along the main lode but output was not sufficient to stop the mine closing prior to 1800. Halamanning reopened in about 1831 and raised over 10,000 tons of 9.25% copper ore between 1831 and 1836. It made over £15,000 worth of sales for each of the years 1852 to 1855. This upturn in production was short lived however and Halamanning closed in the 1860's with a loss of £100,000 whilst under the management of S. J. Rees and Purser William Painter.
Halamanning worked Park Lode from Orchard, Bank,O'Manney's, Quarry and East Park Shafts. North Halamanning Lode was worked from John's, Garden, Hanken Engine and Boundary Shafts, New Lode (Croft Gothal Section) was worked from Lower Hill, Higher Hill, Flat Rod, Shop, Crosscut, Cock's, King's, Bennett's, Eastern Croft Gothal, Old Engine and Crellin's Shafts whilst Bulley Lode was opened up by Schmirtz Shaft and Bulley Shaft.
There is a wealth of information on the mines and miners of Cornwall available. Why not explore Cornwall's industrial heritage through the Bookstore?
Other nearby mines and their main ores
Wheal Friendship (approx. 1.3 km; COPPER & TIN)
Ennys Wheal Virgin (approx. 1.4 km; COPPER)
Wheal Gurlyn (approx. 1.8 km; COPPER & TIN)
Penberthy Crofts (incl. Wheal Fancy) (approx. 1.9 km; COPPER, TIN & LEAD)
Trebarvah (approx. 2.2 km; COPPER & TIN)
Tregurtha Downs (incl. Wheal Rodney) (approx. 2.5 km; COPPER & TIN)
Wheal Neptune (approx. 2.6 km; COPPER)
Wheal Reeth (Lady Gwendolen) (approx. 2.6 km; TIN)
Leeds & St. Aubyn (approx. 2.7 km; TIN)
Tolvadden Mine (approx. 2.9 km; COPPER)